Saint Peter’s Parishioner in Profile: Terry Thomson

Mr Terry ThomsonTerry was born at Maitland Hospital in June, 1951 and was baptised at St Luke’s Church in Telarah.

After the 1955 flood, his parents moved the family to Victoria Street, East Maitland, where he attended East Maitland Infants and Primary schools. He became a ‘Cub-Scout’, Harold Bellamy being his Cub Leader.

He attended Maitland Boy’s High School and completed the Intermediate Certificate in 1967, and then the School Certificate the following year.  During these years Terry attended St Peter’s Sunday School and was a member of the Junior Choir.

After finishing school in 1968, he found casual employment over the Christmas holidays as a ‘Telegraph Boy’ at Maitland Post Office, and then secured an apprenticeship at A Goninan & Co as a patter-maker, first completing his trade certificate and later a certificate in structural engineering. During this time Terry was a Sunday School teacher, then Server and Head Server/Sacristan. He also enjoyed playing social squash and old-time dancing.

Terry married Gail Stuart from Raymond Terrace at St Peter’s (officiated at by Fr Greg Holmes), the union producing two sons. He also served 10 years as a scout leader with 2nd East Maitland.

Professionally Terry filled many roles at Goninan’s – expenditure purchasing; project engineering; rolling stock vehicle estimating. The estimating included locomotives, passenger cars, wheat wagons, bogies and oil and acid tankers.
He is an active Freemason and is presently the Director of Ceremonies of his Lodge, Lodge Brotherhood of Maitland, the Lodge Room being in George Street, East Maitland.
Terry’s wife Gail has always supported him in his activities, firstly scouts and then Masonry, and the kids with their soccer, cricket and swimming.

Terry currently serves in the Parish as the Head of the Saint Peter’s Guild of Servers.