Parish Priests of East Maitland (who are given the title “Rector”) live in the St Peter’s Rectory (“the Rector’s house”) in William Street on the Church site.
The Rectory was built in 1860 although the architect is unknown. It has been extended twice, firstly in 1873 and again in 1893, on both occasions to accommodate the large families of Parish Priests.
Extensive renovations were made in 1967 and again in 1990 as a consequence of the 1989 ‘Newcastle’ earthquake.
The side verandah, which faces in the direction of the New England Highway, was once the front entrance and overlooks the site of the original church.